Friday, March 9, 2012

Tanning : Yay or Nay?


The study is as common as cigarettes and cancer. We all know that tanning beds are not good for our skin but we still tan anyway. Dr. Doris Day (a dermatologist at Lenox Hill Hospital in NYC) says "indoor tanning is like smoking for your skin". She says "It's the single worst thing you can do in terms of skin cancer and premature aging." Teenagers and young adults tend to not think about skin cancer and the harms of their body because they are so young. Tanning beds have the same ratio of UV waves as the sun. UVA-1 is the primary wave length emitted by the sun and that is what most tanning beds emit. In an article on USA Today, it says "The FDA now requiress sunscreens to have a minimum SPF of 15 and be labeled as broad sprectrum to show that it protects against both UVA and UVB waves. 

I wanted to talk about tanning because a couple days ago I purchased a monthly tanning membership at a local Tanning Salon with my friend Brittany. She is going to Mexico on Spring Break and well, I'm just as white as a piece of paper (not literally) and I wanted to get a head start before I start laying out. I go everyday  except Sunday and I know it is really bad for my skin, but what do you think? I wouldn't be skeptical if there wasn't a history of cancer in my family. 

If you live in the Central Valley area, SunShine Tan (used to be SunCity Tan) is  located on 2745 W. Shaw (Suite123) Fresno, Ca 93711. The owner Krishna is the sweetest, most outgoing person and she's running a  $25 monthly membership for students! For more information call: (559) 225-8261.

No comments:

Post a Comment