Monday, September 7, 2015

Hard Work Pays Off

As we all know today is a holiday, maybe not all of us know what this day is really celebrated for. Labor Day is recognized as a national holiday the first Monday in September. In September 1882, the unions of New York City decided to have a parade to celebrate their members being in unions, and to show support. About 20,000 people attended the parade, and the workers had to give up a day's pay to be there. By 1887 the inspiration grew and Oregon, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, and Colorado made Labor Day a state holiday. The two men who really started the NYC event were Matthew Maguire (a machinist) and Peter McGuire (a carpenter) who were from rival unions. Soon after that, it became a big inspirations and turned into a national holiday.

The holiday has definitely evolved over the years and is a much larger event than ever anticipated. Labor Day weekend is known as the last-hoorah for the final days of Summer, and a huge retail event coming in second to Black Friday. So if you have any big purchases in mind, I suggest you buy them this weekend, because guaranteed you'll get one heck of a deal. 

Now the biggest question of all is: Can you wear white after Labor Day? 
Yes, of course you can! 

This old tradition goes back to the late Victorian era, where it was a fashion faus pax to wear any white clothing after the Summer officially ended on Labor Day because it meant that "you were still in vacation mode at your Summer cottage." In the nineteen hundreds, there was a "dress code" for just about every occasion and the saying "No White After Labor Day" just stuck. But yes, you can wear the color without being judged because it is simply just an old wives-tale. It is perfectly appropriate especially in climates where September's temperatures are hardly Fall-like. I just look at it like, "wear what is appropriate for the weather, season, or occasion." 

I am not too sure if the weather has anything or everything to do with it but for Fall and Winter seasons people always seem to gravitate to darker colors and textures when it comes to dressing, and their overall appearance. I know a lot of people who have their hair blonde for Spring and Summer, and then always dye it a dark brown for Fall and Winter. It is the same when it comes to clothing and nail color. I find myself doing this as well. In the Summer I will wear a lot of bright colors, and choose pink and yellow colored hues for my nails. Then in the Fall and Winter, I find myself wearing more black and brown clothing as well as dark maroon shades on my nails. 

Labor Day is a good holiday to celebrate, because there are a lot of people in the work force, (both who work for unions and who don't) that work really hard for what they have. Thanks to my father, I've had a good work ethic from a very young age. Even though I am an only child, and yes I might have been spoiled as a child, I have always worked hard for what I have and have been extremely grateful and appreciative of the things that I own as well as the people in my life. I hope you all have a fantastic holiday, and enjoying it with some of your friends and family. Let loose and have some fun because you work hard and you need to celebrate the life you have because of it. Cheers! 

Just the right amount of some white-on-white inspiration:


No comments:

Post a Comment