Monday, October 12, 2015

Instagram vs. Apple in Free The Nipple Movement

If you're a fellow "Instagrammer" like myself (go follow me) then you've probably noticed the abundance of celebrities that have taken part in this whole #FreeTheNipple campaign by photoshopping male nipples on women's bodies, so on and so forth. Well, head of the company explains himself, and it might not be what you were expecting.

"Instagram CEO Kevin Systrom has blamed Apple for the apps controversial stance on nipples of the female variety, in his first public statement regarding the #FreeTheNipple movement on October 6th."

"[Instagram] is committed to artistic freedom", he told The Business Insider, but "in order to scale effectively, there are [some] tough calls". The tough call in question is, according to Systrom, abiding by Apple's company standards, which won't include apps that feature nudity unless they are specified as "adults only". 

*WARNING*(Unimportant Rant About My Recent Apple Story)
For example, I've been an Apple product user ever since I got my first iPhone in 2010. Now that being said, all of this time I have gone through my cell phone service provider to get that phone (AT&T) and have never gone through Apple directly with anything. That changed this year, actually two weeks ago to be exact, when the new iPhone 6s was released. Apple is strict. Like really, really strict. By that I mean that with the new Apple Upgrade program to purchase the phone, you must meet the requirements. They might not sound horrible, but in my case, it was a real pain in the ass. Apple states that you must use a credit card to purchase the phone. That's all fine and dandy, but you also must have the same address on your credit card which matches your driver's license. Sure, I have that. Well no. Apple doesn't accept a P.O. Box (which is what I have listed on EVERYTHING) so that was a bit of a problem. Luckily, I was able to get in touch with my step-father who eventually just put the phone on his credit card. Apple told us in the store that once the transaction is complete that we could take his card off, and put mine on to continue the payments. I later found out by the loan company (CitizenOne) that his name is on the account and his card must stay on the account and cannot be changed. Now, I'm having to write him a check every month which is alright, but I would have preferred if my phone was under my own name. It was all over a P.O. Box which frankly I think is a little silly.

"ICYMI, the #FreeTheNipple movement came about after it was realized that Instagram removed pictures featuring female nipples but not pictures with male nipples. This has been causing people to photoshop male nipples on female bodies, and posting pictures of taped nipples, and wearing clothing with #FreeTheNipple across the chest for protesting reasons. 

"Because Instagram is offered in the App Store, it must be designated an age rating - in this case, 12+. An app is only allowed to permit nudity if it's rating is 17+."

Not really sure who is to blame on this one except for maybe society. To be clear, nipples are not sexual organs. Yes, they may be larger than men with surrounding breast tissue, but if anything can be learned from Instagram and Apple's censorship tactics, it's that the female body is overtly sexualized. In order to truly free the nipple (which may never happen), it's American society at least that needs to reconsider the censorship laws. 

TWITTER ACCOUNT: Free The Nipple
INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT: Free The Nipple

MORE ARTICLES ON THIS TOPIC:
-Daily Mail (Topless Protestors Take Over New York and 60 Other Cities)
-Huffington Post (Multiple Articles On This Subject)

No comments:

Post a Comment