Tuesday, October 27, 2015

The Intern - Film Review

I don't think I've ever done a film review on my blog before, but it's something that I'd like to start doing a little more frequently. I enjoy going to the movies, and I love hearing about new movies that are pretty good recommendations.

I was actually invited to the screening of this film in New York but was unable to make it since I was in California and it was a bit last minute. But I managed to make it to the theater last week and I really liked it.

The film is about a "70-year-old widower Ben Whittaker (Robert DeNiro) who has discovered that retirement isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Seizing the opportunity to get back in the game, he becomes a senior intern at an online fashion site, founded and run by Jules Ostin (Anne Hathaway)."

Even though this is a total female-targeted and adult-skewing workplace comedy, and so called chic-flick, I loved the relationship of Ben and Jules as it was a total heart-felt film. Jules is, at first, reluctant to take on Ben as her intern, but she quickly realized his value and the became as close as "family" by the end of the film.

The writer and director of this film (Nancy Meyers) has scored a number of commercial successes (including It's Complicated, and Something's Gotta Give) by going against the grain and making movies centered on women and aimed at older audiences. I went to see this film on a Thursday in the middle of the day, and there were only about fifteen people in the theater with me, and all of them were couples ranging from 50-65 years old (hence the total target audience of this film). 

Anne Hathaway in this film reminded me a lot of her character played in The Devil Wear's Prada in 2006. It's a fashion-based film however; it played out as more of a family-friendly story line. I definitely recommend you to see this film. It's a nice change from a lot of the film's Hollywood is making. It's not over-the-top or extremely over done!

2 comments:

  1. Looks funny :)
    BLOG M&MFASHIONBITES : http://mmfashionbites.blogspot.gr/
    Maria V.

    ReplyDelete