Monday, November 2, 2015

Falling In Love With Fall

Fall is my favorite time of the year, and with a new season comes a new list of things to do. I was extremely happy to be able to order my first chestnut praline latte of the season yesterday. Mmmm, it was delicious! I always tend to get more inspired creatively during the colder months, and everything about the season makes me happy. I put together a small list of things that I'd really like to do before the Fall season is over.

1. Make a HOMEMADE Apple Pie
You could say that baking and cooking aren't really my forte. Not because I don't like it,  but simply because I am the worst in the kitchen. Nothing smells better than the smell of an apple pie cooking in the oven, and when you top it off with vanilla ice cream it becomes the best dessert. You can only get better with practice, right?! So I'm hoping to master the apple pie by the end of the season, even if it takes me a few tries.

2. Have A Scary Movie Marathon
I'm definitely a chicken when it comes to scary movies, but I enjoy the thrill and suspense of them a lot. I'd like to curl up on the couch with a cozy blanket and a cup of hot chocolate and watch a few of the scariest movies ever made. Let's hope I won't have nightmares for a week. 

3. Try A New Scent 
Every year around this time, I always take make a shopping trip to Bath and Body Works to buy their new Fall candle scents. They usually have a buy one get one free deal so it works out perfect. Some of my favorite classic scents include: Leaves, Sweater Weather, Vanilla Cupcake, and Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin but this year I'd like to branch out and find some new scents to spread through my home.

4. Volunteer
Since this is the month of giving thanks, there's no better way than to volunteer your time for a good cause. Right now they are building a 5 acre healing garden in honor of cancer patients at a local park and I'm looking forward to helping out with their organization. I've always been passionate about being involved in the community you live in so I've been volunteering since I was a kid. I've done everything from working at animal shelters, retirement homes, and even passing out food to the homeless. It feels good give back when you can.

5. Clean Out The Closet
I have clothes in my closet that I've had for about five years. The rule is that if you haven't worn it in a year, then throw it out. I have a lot of de-cluttering that I could do in my closet. After you've cleaned everything out, it's good to donate the clothes you don't want to Goodwill or any other organization, that way you're giving others a chance to use the clothes you don't want, instead of putting them in the garbage. "One mans junk is another mans treasure."

6. Surprise Someone
I am actually really good about doing this on a regular basis. I write cute cards to my out of town friends as often as I can and do kind things for family and friends frequently. But this month I'd like to go a little more beyond and do something super sweet to a few people who really deserve it. Maybe a surprise bouquet of flowers sent to their workplace, or something simple like paying for the person behind you in the drive-thru, or even leaving your bf/gf a cute little love letter before leaving for work. I think that those little things that don't take that much time or energy are the most heart-felt and mean so much. 

7. Go Somewhere New
Traveling the world is something that I'm extremely involved in and want to do more of. Even if it's just a day trip to somewhere I've never been before, I'd like to explore and discover new places. Take me to the beach, the mountains, the desert, the snow, I will be happy as long as I'm seeing new things. My goal is to visit a few new places I've never been to by the end of this month, even if it's something as small as a new coffee shop about 30 minutes away!

8. Make A Gratitude Jar
I've been wanting to do something similar to this for a while now, but just never have. All you need is a clear glass jar and some colored construction paper. You write down all the things you are grateful for (who/what makes you happy) and out them on individual rectangle strips and fill the jar. You could also throw in a few inspirational quotes. On a day you're feeling sad or depressed, just pull a paper out of the jar and guaranteed it will put you in a better mood. 

9. Create An Art Piece Using Leaves
There are some really cool art pieces that I've found on Pinterest that feature real leaves. You can paint them on a canvas, glue them on a poster board and create multiple different art works that you could frame and use as home decor. I think that would be really fun to experiment with. 

10. Go On A Nature Walk
This time of year is so extremely beautiful and with the nice weather taking nature walks can be the perfect opportunity to relax and find beauty in nature. I always take my camera with me whenever I go on nature walks because you never know when you're going to run into something magical and worth taking a photo of.
"Its a new season. A perfect opportunity to do something NEW, something BOLD, something BEAUTIFUL."

1 comment: